Updated: May 14, 2021
New Zealand is a country filled with adventure, natural wonders, picturesque landscapes, exotic wildlife and loving people.
New Zealand is a country filled with adventure, natural wonders, picturesque landscapes, exotic wildlife and loving people. You can hike on a snow-capped mountain and visit the beach on a single day or enter a magical wormhole with glow worms after diving in a hot water spring. It has something to offer everyone and you can never feel bored here even for a minute. The country has a vibrant and positive vibe and is one of the most favorite tourist destinations. It is surely a destination that will have an impression on your heart forever and you will make some unforgettable memories in this serene and scenic country. Here, we have curated a list of some of the top most attractions that you can explore in New Zealand. Let us get started on our journey to fun, excitement and magic.
1) Explore The Stunning Abel Tasman National Park: The park lures you in with its golden sand beaches and pristine aqua blue water.
It resembles a tropical wonderland and you feel transported to Hawaii or Thailand. The Abel Tasman National Park offers you numerous activities like hiking on the lush green grass that is surrounded by majestic trees, ferns and blooming flowers. The hike around the Abel Tasman Coastal Walk is around 60 km with the most scenic views. This hike is included as one of the “9 Great Walks of New Zealand.” The park also includes several small beaches which are great for relaxing and unwinding.
2) Hike The Majestic Franz Josef Glacier: It is one of the most famous places among tourists, people visit this place to hike the glacier and experience the thrill and adrenaline rush. The way to reach the glacier is with a help of a helicopter which costs you around 200 NZD. It might sound expensive but when you hike up and witness the lofty glacier it is undoubtedly a sight to behold. Do not forget to take your best camera for some unreal and fascinating images.
3) Learn About Maori Culture: The Maoris were among the group of the first few people who inhabited New Zealand. The people of this culture are known to have distinguishing tattoos and also a very beautiful and energetic dance form known as Haka. The Maoris came to New Zealand almost 700 years ago after migrating from Polynesia. If you want to spend some time with the people and are interested to learn more about their culture, then you should visit Rotorua. While visiting Rotorua do not forget to try the authentic Maori cuisine, hangi meal usually made from carrots, potatoes and meat. Learn in-depth about the culture by interacting with locals at Tamaki Maori Village with a delicious meal and cultural experiences. It will surely be once in a lifetime experience.
4) Visit The Scenic Milford Sound: This is one of the most visited tourist destinations in New Zealand and should surely be on the itinerary when you plan your visit to New Zealand. Milford Sound is situated in the heart of Fiordland National Park and includes magnanimous rocks, towering waterfalls and broad mountains. It is also one of the most photographed places in New Zealand. You can enjoy Kayaking or can opt for a boat cruise. If you want to explore Milford Sound in its complete glory, then make sure to book a cruise with the help of operators and relax amidst the beauty of nature.
5) Explore The Magical Glowworm Caves: These caves are one of the best places to visit in New Zealand.
The Waitomo caves are surrounded by glowworms (Arachnocampa Luminosa) and offer you a magical site. The caves are located beneath the King Country, for the more adventurous soul, there is an option for zip lining. You can also enjoy a comfortable boat ride along with a guided tour. These spectacular fluorescent emitting living things are a treat for sore eyes.
6) Enjoy Whale Spotting In Kaikoura: It is a small town on the South Island and offers you the chance to spot whales all around the year. This will surely be a highlight of your trip, you cannot help but get mesmerized by the scenic backdrop of the snowcapped mountains. You can view sperm whales all around the year, orcas can be viewed majorly in summers and humpback whales can be seen visiting New Zealand during winters.
7) Relax In Hot Springs: New Zealand can keep you engaged for days and weeks but it also gives you options to relax, chill and unwind. After a long and strenuous day of the hike, you can rest your muscles in a hot water spring. New Zealand has many hot springs which are naturally occurring and you can enjoy them for free. Kerosene Creek is a naturally occurring hot spring that lies on your way to Rotorua. Another great option is Lake Taupo Hot Spring, located by the Waikato River.
8) Gobble Up On The Delectable New Zealand Cuisine: The most famous food in New Zealand is crayfish or lobster.
You can enjoy some delectable crayfish in Kaikoura at Cods & Crayfish. No visit to New Zealand is complete if you haven’t tried the tempting Kiwi Burger, made with beetroot and fried eggs. For all those who can’t live without sweets, then you must try Jaffas. These are mini chocolate balls coated with sugar and you can also participate in the Jaffa race and roll out these candies. They are easily available at confectionary stores. Pavlova is another favorite dessert of the people of New Zealand made from fruits, whipped cream and meringue.
New Zealand is every explorer's paradise and it is one of the most secured places to visit post-COVID. The places are open to tourists under strict guidelines by the tourism department. While traveling to New Zealand make sure to carry your medical reports, sanitizers and masks along with you. Being cautious will help you avoid any mishap or hindrances during your vacation. We hope that these options will hope you plan a perfect itinerary for New Zealand to enjoy an amazing and unforgettable vacation.